Monday, June 11, 2007

Tolkien's Túrin

I finished the Finnish translation of Tolkien's "new" book late last night. The Children of Húrin was quite gripping and the fleshing out of the short story that was originally published in Silmarillion was quite successful, minus some clumsy shifts ("Now the story goes back to Túrin"). If you like Tolkien, don't hesitate to grab this.
Reading the book reminded me of the fact that I've last read Silmarillion 20 years ago (appr.), even though I've read The Lord of the Rings six or seven times, and it could be the time to reread it. I should also tackle The Unfinished Tales, which I found boring during my intellectual days. I just don't know whether I'll have the time even during this Summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved TLOTR - and disliked Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. They are just boring collection of stories whereas TLOTR is well told epic. Anyway I'll try Turin - but if it's as boring as other Christopher Tolkien moneybullshitting projects, you are so gonna pay for it. t. Ville H.

Juri said...

As if. You wouldn't even know how to make me pay.