Friday, October 05, 2007

Another piece of ephemera: Murrang



Here's another weirdo from the university remainder shelf: the Estonian little magazine called Murrang. I have no idea what it means, but it's strictly culture and literature. Some of the contributors are well-known Estonian writers, such as Marie Under and A.H. Tammsaare. The year is 1921 of which I now seem to possess the whole yearly volume.

On the cover is a word that may be familiar even to foreigners: "sisu". Now, in Finnish that means (roughly) "guts", but it seems in Estonian mean "the contents". That's of course where the guts come from - inside you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cognates are always fun, particularly when similar origins have diverged.

martyweil said...

Such a cool piece of ephemera. I feature similiar items. Thanks for sharing it.

Juri said...

Thanks for your comments, mweil! I realize that my ephemera isn't really ephemera - more like regular magazines. Nice blog you have. It's in here (your Blogger discount doesn't show it for some reason):

http://ephemera.typepad.com

I also googled for ephemera blogs and found lots and lots of fun stuff - will be posting links in due time. (And all this got me into thinking about a project I've been thinking about (a bit of redundancy never hurt anyone): a reference work on ephemera in Finnish. Must get to work.)