Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Freaked out? Sure!

Patti asked in a comment to a previous post if we Finns are as freaked out as they, the Americans, are. She was talking about the financial crisis, the new Depression.

And the answer is: Yes, we are as freaked out as you Americans are. But I'm not talking about the financial crisis now, I'm talking about the new school massacre that took place yesterday in a small town of Kauhajoki. The guy killed ten and shot himself. He was taken to a hospital, but he didn't survive. I would've liked to see him apologize for what he did. It wouldn't've helped, but, well, we'll never know.

I don't really know what to say. I've felt depressed and I slept badly and I feel bad about taking my kids out to the world. Come back home, here you are safe! But then I say to myself that we can't afford let those bastards win. The world is ours, no matter how stupid or arrogant we may seem to you, and we won't let you have it!

Sorry, don't have an energy to come up with an English-speaking news link.

Here's a poem I wrote this morning, somewhat relating to the events yesterday. In Finnish. And here, in Finnish again, a rambling I wrote on another blog.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I didn't even see this in the news. That's how preoccupied we are with ourselves in this country. I am so sorry for your pain. I just don't think of Finns or Scandinavians, in general, acting like this. When my kids were small we had a child killer on the loose and it was horrible. Never caught him either.

Juri said...

Patti, that sounds really bad. So good your children survived!

There was an earlier case of school shooting a year ago. I must've written about it here. In the eighties a kid shot two of his fellow pupils, but other than that I don't think we had previous school shootings.

But, Patti, Finland is one of the most violent countries in Europe (if not *the* most violent).